Often the standards of safety, cleanliness, and medical care are not the same in foreign countries as here in Canada, increasing your risk for travel-related illnesses and accidents. If you are currently planning a trip, be sure to book a travel consultation at least 2 to 3 months prior to departure*. We will ensure that you not only receive the necessary vaccine(s) but also some helpful health-related advice to prevent common travel ailments.*Last minute travel plans? We will work with you to help ensure you receive the best possible protection based on your itinerary.
What to expect at your appointment
- A pharmacist will conduct a pre-travel health assessment. This will include:
- Relevant medical history
- Current medications
- Vaccination history
- Travel itinerary and activities planned
- Discussion regarding destination specific vaccine recommendations (ex. hepatitis A and B)
- Discussion regarding destination specific medication recommendations (ex. traveller’s diarrhea and malaria)
- Recommended vaccines based on itinerary will be administered.
- Other health concerns (ex. dengue fever, altitude illness etc.) and basic preventative measures (ex. safe food and beverage) will be covered.
- Individualized travel recommendations will be given, such as:
- Traveling with chronic health conditions (ex. diabetes)
- Traveling while pregnant
- Traveling with young children
- Cruise ship travel
- Aid in the selection of appropriate over-the-counter medication, insect repellent and sunscreen.
- Vaccination records will be provided and sent to other relevant healthcare providers.
Pharmacy based travel consultations benefit our clients in the following ways:
- Pharmacists are one of the most accessible health professional groups. We are available for extended hours and are in close contact with our patients.
- As your medication experts, and given pharmacists’ ability to prescribe certain medications, we will work with you to ensure all your pre-travel prescription and over-the-counter medication needs are met.
At the River Valley Travel Health Clinic we subscribe to Travax®, which is a comprehensive medical resource, tailored to international travelers. It combines information from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO), as well as many other resources to help us:
- Determine country specific vaccine requirements
- Generate individualized itinerary reports
- Keep up-to-date with new information
- Encourage safe and healthy travel